Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Why I am done with Yelp.

I loved to Yelp to give local small businesses that gave me
great service a leg up online.  I just learned yesterday however that Yelp filters what we write.  They filter the good reviews.  Why?

The almighty dollar kids. Yelp wants business owners to purchase a business listing.  If a business does this, they release the good filtered reviews.  Instant good Yelp profile if you pay for it.  They are currently being sued by businesses over this as I blog.

Want further proof? One of my clients, Moynihan Lumber of Beverly, has a horrible Yelp
rating page.  My professor showed me how to check for the unfiltered results on Yelp. The result?  A stellar Yelp rating page for Moynihan Lumber of Beverly with four great reviews to counter the one bad review.  I was shocked. 


Yelpers beware.  Your
hard work and witty banter may be hidden while Yelp corporate keeps good
reviews hostage for pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment